Crossfield Elementary School, opened in 1988, is named after an aeronautical pioneer whose accomplishments include being the first aviator to fly twice the speed of sound and the first test pilot to fly the X-15. A. Scott Crossfield was a neighbor and friend of our school and served as a role model for intellectual curiosity, educational preparation, and high standards of excellence.
Planning & Construction
Planning for our school began as early as April 1986 when Fairfax County School Board records show that one of the proposed school bond referendum projects was a new 36 classroom elementary school at Money’s Corner. The name Money's Corner was what is referred to as a site name, a name used during construction of a school before an official name is chosen. On March 26, 1987, the construction contract for the elementary school at the Money’s Corner site was awarded to the Falls Church Construction Corporation in the amount of $5,703,000. In February 1988, the School Board received a report that the new school at Money’s Corner would be projected to open during the 1988-89 school year with 707 students in grades K-5, and would have an estimated 798 students by the 1992-93 school year. Fairfax County School Board minutes from March 1988 record that the Floris Elementary School PTA made a gift of $1,000 to help establish our PTA. Our school was officially named the A. Scott Crossfield Elementary School by the School Board at its meeting on May 16, 1988. A. Scott Crossfield was present at the meeting, along with our first principal Nathaniel Emery.
Learn more about Albert Scott Crossfield
Money’s Corner School
During the planning and construction process, our school was referred to by the site name Money’s Corner Elementary. Historically, a family with the surname Money lived in our area, and Money’s Corner was the name used to describe the Fox Mill Road, Lawyer’s Road, and Reston Parkway intersection where the Money family once lived. 100 years ago, the road alignments at this intersection looked quite different than they do today. In 1899, a one-room schoolhouse called the Money’s Corner School was located on the southeast corner of the intersection. It was replaced in 1917 by a new one-room schoolhouse on the northeast corner of the intersection in the vicinity of what is today the Reston South Park and Ride lot. This school operated for only a few short years, closing around 1922. The building was sold in 1934 and converted into a dwelling.
Circa 1970 photograph of the second Money's Corner School after it had been converted into a dwelling. Courtesy of the Virginia Room, Fairfax County Public Library.